Green Bethel Baptist Church is blessed to be located near Gardner-Webb University and shares a long history with both the university as well as the community in general. We here at GBBC take pride in both our history and communal relations with both Boiling Springs, NC as well as Cleveland County.
The church was founded in 1867 by the late Jerry Green (for whom the church was named). The first building, used both for the community school and church, was located on the south side of the present site of Gardner Webb University. The small log church had plank shutters for windows, dirt floor, seats made of slabs and a large fireplace for warmth. The water was obtained from a large spring. There were approximately 20 members along with Rev. Dock Blanton as first pastor.
In 1920 the old Boiling Springs Church building relocated after the Boiling Springs Baptist congregation sold their church building to Green Bethel. Pulleys were used to tug the building down Main Street. This was a humongous task! Miss Connie Green remembers. "There was no big headlines about this gigantic feat, Boiling Springs Baptist and Green Bethel went about their business of life and worship."
In 1926 this building burned down. Green Bethel had to build another facility. The Green Bethel school was also housed in the old church facility. The Rev. C. A. Weaver was elected as pastor. Rev. H. A. Daves was pastor when the edifice was completed.
The late Rev. W. L. Johnson was elected as pastor on May 6, 1934. Much growth was witnessed under the able leadership of W. L. Johnson. Some of the things that were accomplished were as follows: Pastor's study, and office was built, also a choir stand, Baptismal Pool, Restrooms with running water. Sunday school classroom rooms grew from two to ten, Usher Board, Junior Church and Junior Mission were created and we maintained continuous upkeep of the church property.
The Lord bless the Green Bethel Church family in a mighty way when He sent a young Joshua type leader by the name of Rev. Moses Javis. After he came to us a new life and exhilaration was added to our fellowship. Sunday School classrooms were built, and the kitchen and fellowship hall were added. Rev. Javis was one of spiritual intelligence. He was a dynamic watchman on the wall rightly dividing the words of truth.
The church made numerous improvements under the leadership of Rev. R. B. Blanton. The church told Rev. Blanton they wanted a new modern facility and so we now worship in a sanctuary that certainly set Green Bethel apart as a pacesetter of modern church edifice. The building project was paid off under his tenure.
The mantle passed from Rev. Blanton to the Rev. Kenneth Martin. Rev. Martin was electrifying to the Green Bethel congregation. He guided the church in remodeling, adding air-conditioning to the Fellowship Hall and Sunday School rooms, added a steeple and a drive-thru.
On July 15, 1990, Dr. R. Logan Carson, assumed the leadership of Green Bethel Baptist Church. Under his leadership the parking lot was paved. He then sought to rally the membership to be a Church in Action, to believe that "with God all things are possible." Members returned to the work of the church, and a debt-retirement plan was set in place.
Wade Wallace became pastor of Green Bethel on June 4, 1995. Numerous
improvements have been made under Pastor Wallace's leadership. New doors hung
at the front entrance, Sanctuary, Classrooms, and Fellowship Hall has been
painted, Solarium Tile has been added to Fellowship Hall, new Air-condition
units added. The Pastor's Aid refurbished the Pastor's Study, and added carpet
in the hallway. The Ladies Restroom has been refinished. Purchased a New Van,
built a storage unit to house the Van. Re-roofed the building, and built and
furnished an Activity Center.
Most importantly, Green Bethel has experienced a continuous addition to her membership in a day when many churches are in drastic decline and some closing altogether. And to have been blessed to have two spiritual daughters and two sons sharing in ministry here, in the persons of: Ministers Josephine Mitchell, Timothea Guest, Rico Freeman, and Cedric Starr.
An historical touch will always remain at Green Bethel. There is a bell that hangs over the old baptismal pool. It is all that was left when the previous edifice, purchased from Boiling Springs Baptist, was destroyed by fire. The tones of that bell still rings out exclaiming the invitation, "Whoever will" may come!"
The future of Green Bethel is indeed rich with promises. We as a Christian Fellowship forever look forward. We have reason to be proud of what was accomplished in the past by those who built for the future. We face the future with confidence in the great work of serving our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!